Monday, April 16, 2012

Salvador Dali Paranoiac Visage

This oil painted piece was done in 1935. It is the second version of a drawing called Paranoiac Visage that dali did back in 1931. Dali painted a group of African villagers, a domed stone hut and trees and bush in the background. The painting is two in one. As in the villagers turn into the face, eyes, nose and mouth. The trees and bush turn into hair. The hut is the left side of the face. The chin is a vase. The wall is a neck. You can see this painting in two different ways one way is that it is a group of African Villagers living in a hut out in the dessert. Another way you can see the painting is a sideways Picasso like face. This style of artwork interests me a lot because either way you see the painting is correct. His artwork always had a lot of surreal properties to them. The background is so baron that it seems like no one can survive with the low amount of water and natural resources. His art always has real and fake properties that have such good shading and detail that it looks like it could be real. He Uses the rule of thirds in this piece of art but the main focus seems very centered. It makes me wish that he had cropped this piece of art. The color scheme is Primary (Red, Yellow, Blue) with a little bit of green. Overall I very much like this piece.          

9 comments:

  1. i really like the differnt brush strokes in this piece;gives it a lot of demention and feeling.Also the double view looking at it sideways and then straight on is amazing and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the clouds and sky of the background. They're very loose, and the blue beyond the yellow really makes the clouds jump forward. I also like, what I believe to be, the hermit crabs in the foreground. They're quite strange and pretty random, but I think they kind of lead you into the piece because you question what they are and why they're there. Afterward your eyes follow the faint grass which leads you to the main scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting is fun. It is so neat how the people are the shadows of the face in the sand. The clouds even follow through with the body so its not just a decapitated head. At first I thought the setting was a beach because the mountains looked like waves. But when I looked closer I noticed it was a desert with blue mountains. I wonder if it is any significance that one of the eyes of the head are a pregnant women s belly button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You found a Dali painting that I actually like! I do like the composition. The huge expanse at the bottom helps me understand the vast open space in Africa. I wonder if he ever traveled there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I didn't even notice the head until you mentioned it, but the effect is fascinating. I tried it with my grandmother, mother and sister; my mom saw the face first, but my grandmother and sister saw the people and the hut until I turned the computer sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a Salvador Dali painting too! I guess it's because of how interesting his paintings are, he's a very crazy and unexpected artist, but for some reason, what he does is entertaining and intriguing to look at. Of course, Dali's history is sort of frightening, but I still really enjoy his work, and his the stories of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salvador Dali is a mad genius! He made a face out of a landscape!! How insanely awesome is that?!?!!!

    ReplyDelete